Casting For Recovery at the Forbes of Kingennie Country Resort
A great weekend of fly-fishing and friendship was held by Casting for Recovery UK & Ireland – the medical fly-fishing programme for ladies who have or have had breast cancer – at Forbes of Kingennie, Dundee (13-15 Sept).
Organiser Sue Shaw said: “This was our ninth retreat at Forbes of Kingennie and we welcomed 12 ladies from all over the UK – one flew up from Hampshire – to the lovely surroundings of the country resort. “All the ladies managed to catch a trout and one caught a double-figure rainbow trout, which was safely released again. A first for CfR!
The weather was very kind to us and we are now all looking forward to our final retreat of the year at the Arundell Arms, in Devon next month.”
Casting for Recovery UK & Ireland is run by The Countryside Alliance Foundation (TCAF), the charity set up to increase access to the countryside and to use it for education, fun and healing. It works on the simple principle that fly fishing is wonderful therapy for those recovering from breast cancer.
The programme takes ladies on a two-day residential retreat where fly fishing tuition is part of a packed itinerary that also includes counselling, relaxation and medical advice. The residential retreat aims to help both body and mind, with the medical and counselling aspects complementing the gentle physical therapy of the fly-casting motion.
Casting for Recovery are extremely grateful to the fly fishing and medical volunteers who take time to ensure that the ladies all enjoy their weekend and to the generous hosts.
CfR will run six retreats throughout 2019. Our final retreat of the year takes place at the Arundell Arms in Lifton, Devon, from 11-13 October.
- For more information about Casting for Recovery please visit our website https://www.countryside-alliance.org/charity/casting-for-recovery-uk-ireland
- To view Casting for Recovery’s fly fishing therapy schedule for 2019 https://www.countryside-alliance.org/charity/casting-for-recovery-uk-ireland/our-retreats
NB retreat places are allocated by ballot.
- Retreats are provided free of charge. All participants need to do is get to the retreat and CfR will take care of all food, accommodation, counselling, medical advice, fly fishing instruction and fishing kit.
- Ladies should be three months clear of surgery. Attendance on retreat is subject to medical clearance.
- Casting for Recovery UK & Ireland is part of The Countryside Alliance Foundation, a registered charity. (Charity number: 1121034. Company number: 5669451.)